The Pursgloves of Brentford - [BRTF]


In Anglo-Saxon times, Breguntford was a fording point on the River Brent. The settlement is ancient and there was people there long before the Roman Occupation.

The River Thames is easily navigable to Brentford and this was a trading point.  In the late 1850's, the river was dredged and a new dock was built, designed by Brunel.  A rail spur from the GWR line connected Brentford docks to the railway network and goods were transported by Barges and Lighters up and down the Thames.

St Paul's Church (shown) and St Faith's Church are the established parish churches for Brentford.


 

1884 Marriage solomnized at St Peter's Chapel in the Parish of Hammersmith in the County of Middlesex

120 September
15
1884
Edward Francis Purseglove 26 Bachelor Dock Labourer Festin's Arms, King St. William Purseglove Farmer
Sarah Catherine Coleman 24 Spinster - Festin's Arms, King St. William Coleman Docker
  Edward Francis Purseglove
Sarah Catherine Coleman
Witness:  William Brown X his mark
               Esther Brown X her mark

 

1911 Census, 11 Netley Road, West Brentford, Middlesex. (RG14,128, 47, 6914, 155)
Edward Purseglove [2637], Head, 50, married, 29 years, 12 children, 9 living, Bargeman, born London, Middlesex
Sarah Purseglove, Wife, 50, married, 29 years, Washer (at home), born Ealing, Middlesex
William Purseglove, Son, 19, single, Bargeman, born Isleworth, Middlesex
Annie Purseglove, Daur, 11, born Brentford, Middlesex
Nellie Purseglove, Daur, 9, born Brentford, Middlesex
Albert Purseglove, Son, 6, born Isleworth, Middlesex

Edward Francis Purseglove and Sarah Catharine Purseglove of 78 St Mary's Road, Ealing -1945.

 

Back

Page Updated 27/09/2014