The Pursgloves of Ealing - [EALG]

Known is Saxon times as Gilling, this was a forested area to the east of London.  In the 12th century, St Mary's Church was built to support the local settlement, which by 1599 consisted of 85 houses.  The parish also included Little Ealing, Ealing Dean, Haven Green, Drayton Green and Castlebar Hill.  This has all be incorporated in the Ealing district of Greater London.

The railway station at Ealing Broadway was built in the 1830's and this stimulated an expansion of the district as a commuter settlement for London.  Ealing Studios were built to make films for cinema, being taken over by the BBC in the 1950's to make programs for television.

1911 Census: 13 Welley Road West, Ealing. (RG14, 4, 47, 343, 155) Flats.
Mr E Purseglove, Male 3, Female 3, Persons 6.
Mr H James, Male 2, Female 1, Persons 3.

William John Pursglove, son of Edward Francis Pursglove and Sarah Kathleen (Catharine) Pursglove of 78 St Mary's Road, Ealing. Private soldier in the 2nd Bat. Royal Fusiliers - service number G/3632, died Sunday 15th August 1815 aged 23 years.  Inscription on the Helles Memorial, Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey.  Panel 37 to 41 - Number 328.



Page Updated 27/09/2014