The Pursgloves of Salford - [SALF]


Beginning as a settlement on the River Irwell in Neolithic times, this small town was granted a charter in 1230 by the 6th Earl of Chester.  Prior to the industrial revolution, Salford was significantly more important than Manchester.  In the 18th and 19th centuries, the cotton weaving Industry resulted in the expansion of Salford's population and a dependence on Manchester as a trading port.

The church of the Sacred Trinity was built in 1752-3 utilizing foundations and parts of an older church.


1881 Census: 4 Maurice Street, Pendleton in Salford, Lancashire (RG11, 3946, 7, 7)
John Pursglove [736], head, married, 41, commercial clerk, born Hayfield, Derbyshire
Mary Pursglove, wife, married, 34, born Stockport, Cheshire
Martha Ann Pursglove, Dau, 12, scholar, born Prestwich, Lancashire
Herbert Pursglove, Son, 5, scholar, born Pendleton, Lancashire
Walter Pursglove, Son, 2, born Pendleton, Lancashire
Henry Charlton, nephew, 4, scholar, born Prestwich, Lancashire

 

Back

Page Updated 03/03/2014