The Pursgloves of Widnes - [WIDN]


The area around Widnes was marshland with a few small settlements before the industrial revolution.  Around the 1750's when the Sankey Canal was constructed to link St Helens with the River Mersey, the land around Widnes was being drained.  By the earl 1840's, factories and housing were being built in the area, establishing Widnes as an Industrial town.

The oldest church is St Lukes at Farnworth, dating to the 12th century.  There are several other churches and parishes in Widnes.


1901 Census: 50 Banks Road, Garston, Widnes.
William Pursglove, head, m, 63, No occupation, born Derbyshire.
Mary Pursglove, wife, m, 64, born Montgomeryshire N. W.
Elizabeth Pursglove, Daughter, s, 25, born Liverpool.
John Pursglove, son, s, 24, Engine Fireman w, born Liverpool.
Evan Williams, Border, s, 21, Ships carpenter w, born Porthmadog.

 

Back

Page Updated 03/03/2014