The Pursgloves of Blackwell - [BWEL]
Blackwell forms a parish with Hilcote and Newton in the Bolsover District of Derbyshire. It is just over 3 miles from the town of Alfreton. It is developed around the church of St. Werburgh at Old Blackwell and is historically an agricultural community.
Blackwell became a mining village when the first colliery shaft was sunk in 1871. The main new development was below Old Blackwell. Coal was the main strength in its economy until the closure of the mines. The coking plant closed in 1960 and the mine 1969.
George Pursglove  married Mary Beresford on 5/2/1795
Francis Pursglove son of Geo. and Mary, bapt. 15/11/1795
James Pursglove, son of George and Mary, bapt. 8/4/1789
Sarah Pursglove, son of George and Mary, bapt. 4/3/1800
John Pursglove, son of George and Mary, bapt. 4/7/1802
George Pursglove  married Elizabeth Wilson on 9/1/1804
John Pursglove son of George and Elizabeth bapt. 14/6/1804
George Pursglove son of George and Elizabeth bapt. 4/5/1806
Thomas Pursglove son of George and Elizabeth bapt. 15/9/1808
Mary Pursglove daughter of George and Elizabeth bapt. 28/4/1813
Mary Pursglove, buried 27/11/1809 aged 77, at St. Werburgh, Blackwell
Page Updated 30/01/2014