The Pursgloves of Grindleford - [GRIN]
Grindleford is a long village which has been associated with farming, mining and tanning. It is situated about 6 miles north of Bakewell and runs from Padley to Stoke Hall. Grindleford Railway Station is at Upper Padley.
In 1359 the settlement was the site of a crossing on the River Derwent and was recorded as Gryndelford Bridge. The agricultural hamlets of Stoke, Eyam Woodlands and Upper Padley surrounded Glindleford Bridge and the area was generally administered from Hope until the 1800's
At the time of the 1813 enclosure there were 30 dwellings. The Methodist Chapel was built in 1830 and the Parish Church of St Helens was consecrated in 1910 following the opening of the railway in 1893.
Hannah Pursglove  born 16 Sep 1788 at Goatscliffe.
note: Hannah married William Cotton at Baslow in 1808
Page Updated 17/11/2013