The Pursgloves of Killamarsh - [KILM]


On the River Rother, Killamarsh was recorded in Domesday as Chinewoldemaresc - "Cynewalds Marsh".  The settlement was a farming community with a strong dairy industry in the Middle Ages.  St Giles Church dates back to Saxon times but the main structure is now based on 12th Century foundations.

The coal industry became dominant with Norwood Colliery (1865-1943), Westthorpe Colliery (1923-1986) and High Moor Colliery (1957-1992).  Upperthorpe and Neathergreen are also village communities associated with this parish.

 

John Pursglove [706] married Maria ?
Sarah Ann Pursglove, daughter of John and Maria, bapt. 26/3/1848
John Pursglove, son of John and Maria, bapt. 6/2/1850
George Pursglove son of John and Maria, bapt. 6/2/1850
Maria Pursglove, daughter of John and Maria, bapt. 21/3/1853

 

Back

Page Updated 10/03/2014