The Pursgloves of Little Eaton - [LEAT]

Little Eaton sits by the River Derwent north of Derby.  The name comes from the Saxon for "small town by the river". This was a rural community on a packhorse route to Derby.  Many of the buildings were constructed from stone from local quarries.  With the dependence on passing trade, this is a linear village along the main road.  St Pauls' Church was consecrated in 1791, built on the site of a derelict chapel.

In 1793 a horse drawn railway called the Little Eaton Gangway was constructed to carry coal from Denby Pottery, Denby Hall Colliery and Henmoor Colliery to the Derby Canal.

 

Martha Pursglove daughter of Mary Pursglove [712] bapt. 4/3/1839 at Little Eaton, St. Pauls

 

Back

Page Updated 18/11/2013