The Pursgloves of Pinxton - [PINX]
In Domesday, this small agricultural community was called Esnotrewic, sitting by the River Erewash. The Normans re-named the hamlet Ponceston and this name has evolved into Pinxton over time. St Helens church was built in medieval times and was refurbished in the 16th century. It is thought that the church was built on the site of the old castle.
Pinxton Colliery operated as a shallow pit from 1788 and started work as a deep mine in 1938, closing in 1950. Brookhill Colliery was established at the other side of the village in 1908 and produced coal until 1969. Plymouth Colliery worked from 1940 to 1950.
1871 Census: 7 Factory Sq. (RG10, roll 3467, folio 119)
Thomas Pursglove, lodger, Unm., 54, coal miner, born Alfreton
in the house of Elizabeth Alcock, Head, Unm., 37, housewife, born Pinxton
Samuel Pursglove, son of Thomas  and Elizabeth, bapt. 6/6/1874
Samuel Pursglove , buried 23/5/1876, aged 1 year, at St Helen, Pinxton
1911 Census: West End, Pinxton (RG14, 20311,3, 12, 158)
Joseph William Pursglove, Head, 25, Married, Miner Hewer at coal face, worker, born Ironville, Derbyshire
Lizzie Pursglove, Wife, 24, Married 5 years, born Luton, Bedfordshire
Hilda Pursglove, Daur, 4, born Ironville, Derbyshire
Joseph W Pursglove, Son, 2, born Ironville, Derbyshire
Page Updated 30/01/2014