The Pursgloves of Spondon - [SPON]


The ancient village of Spondon (Saxon for hill of gravel) occupies a ridge dipping to the south.  There is a Saxon Cross dating to about 870 AD.  In 1340, the Great Fire of Spondon destroyed most of the village buildings and the church.  St. Werburgh's Church dates from around 1390 as do many early buildings.

The River Derwent and an old Roman road pass to the south of the village.  This is the main route between Nottingham and Derby.  Industry has included agriculture, tanning and dying.  The Derby canal ran below Spondon between 1795 and 1964.

 

Joseph Pursglove [1128] married Mary Bainbridge, both of Chaddesden on 19/12/1769

 

 

Back

Page Updated 20/11/2013