The Pursgloves of Mansfield Woodhouse - [MWHS]
A Roman villa stood at this site and by the 13th Century there was a settlement of agricultural smallholders. In 1304, the settlement was burned to the ground by fire, which also destroyed a timber-framed church. Following the fire, the church of St. Edmund King and Martyr was rebuilt using local stone. In the Tudor period many houses had been rebuilt using local stone, the same stone was used later to build much of the Houses of Parliament.
Sherwood Colliery was built at Mansfield Woodhouse in 1902. The colliery was closed in 1992. In 1934 a swimming pool was opened as part of the mining complex, now refurbished as the 'Rebecca Adlington Swimming Centre'.
Obadiah Pursglove  married Elizabeth Reame on 29/12/1719
married Hannah Whitehead ( ) in 1879
Daniel Pursglove, baptised 1881 at Shirland
Lilly Pursglove, born 1883 at Shirland - married Isaac Hawkins in 1905
Elizabeth Pursglove, baptised 26/08/1888 at Shirland - married Henry Pearson in 1915 at Mansfield, Notts.
Edith Pursglove, born in 1887 at Shirland - married George Peat having children, Arthur, Lesley and George.
John William Pursglove (b. 1892) , baptised in 1890 at Shirland - married Mary Peat at Mansfield, Notts.
Page updated 21/11/2013