The Pursgloves of Retford - [RETF]
Also known as East Retford, this is a market town by the River Idle. The village of Ordsall has been incorporated in the town as it has grown. The fair charter was given in 1246 and the Saturday Market charter dates back to 1275.
The towns name is debatable, but it is considered to be taken from the river crossing where the water was coloured red from the underlying clay river bed, hence, the early name of Redforde. The west side of the river is poorly developed as it occasionally floods.
In 1582 the bulk of the town was destroyed by fire. In 1776, the Great North Road was diverted via Retford and the town prospered as a result.
Harriot Pursglove, daughter of George  and Ann, baptised 21/2/1779
Ann Pursglove, daughter of George Wylde Pursglove  and Nanny, bapt. 25/5/1781 at East Retford
1891 Census Strays: 5 Rigg Street, Gorton, Lancashire (RG12, 3175, 101,
Emma Pursglove, Head, Widow, 53, born Retford, Nottinghamshire
Eliza E Pursglove, Daur, Single, 22, Confectioner, born Sheffield, Yorkshire
Georgiana Pursglove, Daur, Single, 18, Sewing Machinist, born Gorton, Lancashire
William H Pursglove, Son, Single, 16, Apprentice Engine Fitter, born Gorton, Lancashire
Last updated 21/11/2013