Pursgloves of Teversal - [TEVR]
The origin of this village is uncertain, but it is included in Domesday. The Saxon suffix 'sal' suggests a hall or family seat for a family name like Tever.
St. Katherines Church is a Norman church supporting this old village. Mining has been a main part of the village industry since at least 1610 when bell pits were dug to extract coal near the surface of the ground. In 1703 the pits were being drained of water by channels called soughs. Teversal colliery shaft was sunk in 1862 to mine the Top Hard coal seams. The pit closed in 1980.
Obadiah Pursglove  married Elizabeth Reame at Mansfield Woodhouse 29 Dec 1719 (Banns entry)
Mary Pursglove married Job Allen on
2/10/1752 at Nottingham St. Mary (Banns entry)
Mary was born in Teversal about 1731 according to the IGI.
Mary Pursglove  married Job Allen of Ashover on 2/10/1753
The marriage was at St Marys Church, Teversal. Mary was a spinster of 25 years and Job was a butcher aged 30.
Last updated 21/11/2013