Pursgloves in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
This region was an important meeting place for the clans of the Kulin nation, the Wurunderi, Boonwurrung and Wathaurong peoples. John Bateman negotiated the purchase of 600,000 acres of land from the Wurundjeri elders to form the settlement in 1835. The general post office was opened in 1837 and the town was named after the them prime minister of Britain, Viscount Melbourne. City status was awarded in 1847 and this became the main port for the Victoria Gold Rush in 1851. This is now the regional capitol of Victoria.
No Image Available
Passenger List: S S Bendigo, P & O Line, London, UK to Melbourne, Australia,
1930. Master- F N Wyat.
350, Pursglove, Mrs Fanny, 12 Egmont St., Bank Lane, Pendleton, Cheshire, Housewife, age 70, future residence Australia
Page Updated 28/03/2014