The Pursgloves of Hinderwell - [HWEL]
About a mile from the coast, this village parish also includes the hamlet of Port Mulgrave on the coast, Staithes and the hamlets of Dalehouse and Runswick Bay. Fishing and Ironstone Getting were the main industries of this area. Small boat building and maintenance was an essential part of the industry.
The village was originally called Hilderwell from a freshwater spring known as St Hilda's Well. St Hilda's church is an old site, the building was rebuilt in 1773.
Hellen Pursglove, daughter of Robert Pursglove , baptised 17/9/1610
Phillip Pursglove, son of Robert Pursglove, baptised 7/1/1612
Robert Pursglove, son of Robert Pursglove, baptised 6/10/1616
Richard Pursglove, son of Robert Pursglove, baptised 23/5/1619
William Pursglove  married Jean Ollever on 26/11/1635
Page updated 24/11/2013