The Pursgloves of Rothwell - [RWEL]

'Rodewelle' was the site of a royal hunting lodge at Domesday.  The site was chosen as it was close to a natural well.  The town developed and became a market town in the 15th Century.  It sits to the South East of Leeds and in modern times it has been a coal mining town and a key grower in the Rhubarb Triangle of Yorkshire.  Shallow mines known as Bell Pits were used.  Rothwell Colliery was open from 1867 to 1983.

The current parish church of Holy Trinity was built in 1130AD in the Gothic style.

 

Thomas Purselove, son of George [1359] and Mary, Baptised on 5/8/1821

 

Back

Page updated 24/11/2013