The Pursgloves of Snaith - [SNAI]


Originally called Sneid, the name originates from the Viking for "isolated land" and the spelling Snaith is early, but in Domesday it is recorded as Esneit.  The town lies on high ground about half a mile south of the River Ayre.  The Hamlet of Cowick lies within the town boundaries.

The priory church of St Lawrence is a Norman building and was administered by Selby Abbey.  The town was given its market charter in 1223 by Henry III

 

Joseph Pursglove [1444] married Hannah Wade on 27/8/1767

 

 

Back

Page updated 24/11/2013