The Pursgloves of Treeton - [TREE]

This village is situated within the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham.  The site was first occupied as a Neolithic settlement.  it was later on the route of the Roman road called Icknield Street.  At Domesday, the village had two mills and a church.  The present church of St. Helens was established in the 12th Century and has been extensively restored in the 19th Century.

Treeton Colliery worked from 1875 to 1990.  This site has since been redeveloped for housing.

 

John Pursglove [1461] married Elizabeth Smith on 15/9/1736

 

Back

Page updated 23/11/2013